|VCC trip Mt Buller 2018|
Mountaineering isn't exactly a big thing in Australia. There's a slight lack of alpine peaks ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If you want to get started or connect with fellow mountaineers, a club is always a good point to start. Here's a brief overview of mountaineering related clubs and associations:
- Alpine Search and Rescue Victoria - alpineSAR
They are a bunch of outdoor enthusiasts who provide searchers - like any other bushwalking club - to Bush Search and Rescue.
- Alpenverein Melbourne
The Austrian Alpine Club finally set foot into Australia! The OeAV has a long history of being great club for families and it comes with a great insurance.
- Army Alpine Association - AAA
You obviously need to have some ADF connection to join these guys. They're up for some big adventures.
- Melbourne University Mountaineering Club - MUMC
The classic university club with a wide range of outdoor activities
- Mountain Sports CollectiveThe MSC is Australia's Backcountry Usergroup Association. They deliver an Alpine Travel Advisory. It's the place to go for a streamlined and concise picture of the conditions, in one single easy view but they also have other things in the pipeline.
- Mount Bogong Club - MtBC
These guys take care of the Cleve Cole Memorial Hut as well as the Michell Refuge. They only organise working bees but becoming a member makes Cleve Cole is a great base for your backcountry adventures.
- New Zealand Alpine Club Australia Section - NZAC
This is the big mountaineering associations from across the ditch with the Australian members roughly evenly spread between NSW and VIC.
- RMIT Outdoors Club - ROC
The ROC has also a mountaineering program beside many outdoor activities.
- Victorian Climbing Club - VCC
The VCC does mainly rock climbing however there's a reasonably sized section of mountaineers.
What about Mountaineering Melbourne? We're not a club but the blog you're on 😋 Our mission is to bring Mountaineers together no matter to which club they belong!